Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Taking Charge, Again!

I stocked up on fruit at the store tonight and got the makings for another pot of cabbage soup since I finished off a pot of it earlier this evening. It seems that I have spent my life on one diet or another. I've done T.O.P.S. and Weight Watchers. I tried Adkins and South Beach. I almost did the Zone. Time to go back to what works for me - grazing! Nibbling on fresh fruit and veggies all day and eating something decent at night. But I have to get to that point and a pot of cabbage soup helps. Thank goodness I do not have to cook for anyone but me and I do not mind eating the same thing several days in a row.

People who did not know me 10 years ago may raise an eyebrow at the extreme measures, but at that point of time, the scales screamed 210 and I was squeezing into a size 20. My knees hurt and the arthritis in the hips was getting worse. Mirrors were torture! I didn't start losing weight because I tried. The mouth sores from chemotherapy made it impossible to eat anything with more texture that Cream of Tomato soup. When I was able to eat again, the taste buds had changed and sweet stuff made me sick at my stomach, whether it was chocolate or pancake syrup, it didn't matter. That eventually went away.

When I started eating again, I started Adkins. I still don't eat pasta, white bread, peas or corn. I seldom eat potatoes (except sweet potatoes - yum). Adkins worked, but I wanted more fresh fruits and veggies, so I went more toward South Beach. Eventually, I got too thin (same weight as at the end of 5th grade - 128, bottomed out at 125). I added some carbs and fortunately the metabolism had changed. I gained a little and felt much better. But a problem started.

Good metabolism, weight stabilized, oh goody I can have a donut. And if a donut, why not a handful of cookies, and....the rest is history. I decided to try to fool myself and give myself a "ten pound range". Not more than 5 pounds over or under 130, then 135 and finally 140. Found myself breaking the 145 limit on a regular basis and hanging clothes that would no longer fit in the back of the closet. What was next? Either buy new clothes and deal with the consequences of weight or "get a grip". I choose to get a grip.

Summer is a great time - strawberries, cherries, watermelon, cantaloupe added to the usual apples, oranges and bananas. Toss in a tangerine or pineapple and the eating is good. Not to mention the fresh veggies.

And I really like celery with peanut butter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I need to get in the habit of stopping by the store every few days to pick up fresh fruits and veggies. I have a problem with most veggies besides the standard carrots, tho! My idea of a big salad is iceberg, carrots, onions, and cheese. Got to get better about that! But fruits I just love. They go bad so quick that I just need to pick up a few things every few days. But yes, this is the best time of the year!