Saturday, February 16, 2008

Live and Let Live!

It is all around us, the center of many discussions. Whether it is the political pundits, news broadcasters and common citizens. Can a Mormon be elected President? Creation vs. evolution. Pro-life vs. Pro-choice. A Baptist minister (and Arkansas Governor) making sure the "Religious Right" has their voice heard. Separation of Church and State (or is it church from state). No prayer in schools - but a required "moment of silence" instead. Moslems are feared, even when an individual has done nothing wrong. Hell's Fire and damnation befalls all who do not believe that The Bible is the unaltered word of God.

I choose my behavior, thoughts and deeds. Not because I am looking for the "salvation of my immortal soul" but because I believe in doing what I think is right. I make mistakes and make bad decisions, but the "devil" did not make me do it. Seems to me that the athiests and agnostics are far more willing to listen to alternative views.

Tolerance? Acceptance? Where are they?


1 comment:

Mama T said...

My vote usually goes to the person who is the LEAST religious. My reasoning? For one...less religious candidates are usually pro-choice, which I am very passionate about. For two...less religious candidates are also pro-gun control...which I am also very passionate about. So unfortunately, I have based my vote on religious views per candidate before. When the more Bible-versed of the candidates become less conservative...then I will perhaps change my vote.
It's almost unfortunate that those views go hand in hand.