Friday, October 17, 2008

That Time of The Year


It's that time of the year again. The time when the reality of old houses really hits. The storm windows have been closed (at least most of them). The plastic for the windows has been brought up from the basement. This year's supply was purchased late last winter when they were on clearance. I have started putting the plastic on the windows. Good thing vacation time has come and I can finish before the weather really gets cold. I have put insulation around and over the basement window that is near the water pipes and the old coal shute opening.

From the looks of the weather forecast, Sunday may be a good day to get outside to put some caulk and plastic on a few windows. The rest of next week looks like rain and inside work, like sealing off the spare bedroom.

Need to clean up the electric water bowl for the dogs and get a new supply of bedding for them. They become inside dogs when it gets really cold, but they still spend a lot of time outside.

So many little things to do, like flip the switch to reverse the ceiling fans.

I think I will get a new thermostat.

Time to hunker down and prepare for winter and all the glory that is mid-western winter time.

Damn, where did I put that snow shovel?

3 comments:

My Flock Rocks! said...

Is that a picture of snow you posted? It's too early to think about that! Stay warm!

Anonymous said...

I've also been getting my extra supply of canned goods, just in case we are snowed in for a few days. Always nice to have a hot bowl of soup on a snowy day.
I also just finished washing my reuseable furnace filters. I figured I better do that before I turn the furnace on for the winter. Hopefully we won't have to do that for awhile.

Anonymous said...

It’s really a nice and helpful piece of information. I’m glad that you shared this helpful info with us. Please keep us informed like this. Thanks for sharing.