Sunday, May 27, 2012

The Rest of the Story

In early April, I made a trip to Robinson Park on Mossville Road.  I hiked part of both sides of the Illinois River Bluff Trail that is located in the park, but did not finish either side.  I decided to try the South Trail again today.  Last time, I made it about half way - to the concrete & wire bridge.  This is at about the half way point.  I did not know what I was getting myself into!  The trail goes from Mossville Road, south to a point overlooking Route 6.  There is no access to Route 6, however.  The trail is in and out on the same path.

The trail from the midway point, to the end of the trail overlooking Route 6 is pretty challenging.  There are few level areas and when they occur, they do not last for long.  The first half of the trail does not have any resting benches.  The second half has quite a few and I am very grateful to the Eagle Scout troops that built them.  Mile markers on the trail go from 2.25 to 3.75, but both are some distance from the beginning and end of the trail.  There is probably another quarter mile at least, making the trail approximately 1.75 miles one way or 3.5 miles round trip.

I started the hike at 8:50 A.M. and it was about 11:30 A.M. when I returned to my vehicle.  I certainly did not hurry and I rested several times.  It was all worth it!  It was cool in the woods and an occasional breeze added to the enjoyment.  I saw only two other hikers on the trail.  Reaching the trail's end and overlooking Route 6 and the hills on the other side, gave me a real sense of accomplishment.  I still want to complete the Pimiteoui Trail and find some other challenging trails to attempt. 

I think I will invest in a walking stick!

1 comment:

Chef Kevin said...

Wish I could have joined you. Sounds like a wonderful expedition.